The ability to send notifications is an important feature that has been missing from Salesforce – until now! As part of the Summer ‘19 release, Salesforce added this new feature to the Process Builder. This functionality can be used on any object, based on the criteria you set up in Process Builder, and are available for both the Desktop and Mobile applications.
Push notifications are a great way, beyond Chatter, to provide real-time information to Sales and Service reps about the status of their opportunities (closed-won anyone?) or on cases that need immediate attention. Keep reading for a walkthrough on how to set it up!
Step 1: Create the Notification Route
The purpose of this step is to create a notification that will either go to the Mobile or Desktop app, or both.
1. Go to Setup → Notification Builder → Notification Type
2. Click New and then give the Notification Type a name. This is important if you decide to have more than one Type available.
3. Select the Type
Bear in mind that for the Mobile notifications, some restrictions apply. This includes (but not limited to):
- The user installing the app on their phone
- The application having notifications turned on
- and, that the user actually looks at the app.
In some cases, if the user is both the person causing the notification to go out and the receiver of the notification, and Mobile and Desktop are selected, the user will only see the notification on the Mobile device when entering the app itself, assuming they have not already clicked on it in the Desktop app.
Step 2: Create the Process Builder
This is the step to trigger the notification to go out.
- Go to Setup → Process Builder → Create new
- Select your initiating object, and if this should fire only on create or create and edit
- Add any relevant criteria that should be followed in order for the notification to fire
- Create New Action → select Send Custom Notification
5. Give the Action a name
6. Select the Notification Type that you made in Step 1
7. Select the Recipient Type: this can be the User or someone on the record – up to you!
8. Lastly, and probably most importantly, fill out the Title and the Body of the notification
9. Click Save, and then click Activate for the Process Builder
Step 3: Testing
Now to test this lovely new feature!
Go to the object that you chose in Process Builder and do the action(s) that would cause it to fire. Depending on if you set your Notification Type to Mobile or Desktop, that’s where you are going to look out for the notification.
You will see a (1) show up in the corner on the little bell icon in either application. If you are in mobile and have badges/banners on for the Salesforce app, you may also see that appear.
And there you have it, your notification alert out to users is all set up! Enjoy this wonderfully simple, but powerful, new tool.