Einstein Search is transforming the way we search in Salesforce, enabling your users to get personalized and actionable search results.
This post will walk you through how to get started successfully with Salesforce Einstein Search – how to set it up, what you can do with it, and help you understand how it works.
How Do I Get Einstein Search?
Einstein is free – available to Unlimited, Enterprise and Performance edition customers, with Lightning enabled. From Winter ’22 release, Einstein Search is on by default, so it’s time to help your users skill up on this awesome productivity feature.
How Do I Setup Einstein Search?
Step 1: Check Your Settings
- There’s no need to enable the feature – it’s on by default! But you can check your settings by going to Setup > Einstein > Einstein Search > Settings.
- From here you can turn specific features on and off.
Step 2: Define Your Search Result Layouts
At this point, you may want to define your search result layouts and what actions users will be able to take.
The fields displayed are controlled by the ‘Search Layouts’ defined for each object. This can be edited by going to the object > Search Layouts.
Any changes you make to layout, fields and actions can affect your existing set up. For example, what actions are available in search is determined by the page layout assigned to your user for that object.
Any actions you add to the ‘Mobile and Lightning Experience Actions’ area of the page layout in Setup (1), will be displayed on both the record page (2) and search (3).
Account Page Layout:
To find out more, check out this Salesforce Help article.
Step 3: Control Which Objects Users See
As the Admin, you can define the search-scope. In layperson’s terms? This simply means the objects that Einstein always looks at when providing search results; these objects will be included in instant and top search results. Einstein will continue to include results from “Einstein determined objects” which are based on a user’s activity. You can define the search-scope per profile.
Einstein Search is all set up, now what?
As soon as you click into the search bar you’ll notice some amazing new functionality including:
- Suggested searches
- Recent items
- Suggested lists
You can use Einstein Search to replace the need to create many reports and list views. Your users can simply search for “My Opportunities” or “My Accounts in San Francisco”. This one’s a time saver for both Admin and end user!
(Note – the record displayed above had “Bristol” in the City field of Address.)
As well as personalized search results, you can also take actions by hovering over the record; this game-changer really does reduce the number of clicks required.
Where you are directed to a recommended result, you can see and navigate to actions and related lists without having to go into the record.
Top Tip: From Winter ‘21 Einstein Search will now return results for renamed standard objects! So, if you’ve renamed Leads to Prospects, you can now search for “My Prospects”.
How does all this work?
Personalized Search Results
Personalized search results are available for accounts, contacts, opportunities, cases, and leads and are based on user activity. This means Einstein orders your search results based on:
- Activity—how frequently or recently you’ve viewed the records.
- Location—records that are related to a city, state, or country that you work with often.
- Ownership—records that are owned by or modified by people that are important to you.
- Specialization—records that are related to an industry or product area you prefer, or have a status or stage that interests you.
Source: Personalized Search Results
Natural Language Search
This feature uses what’s known as “natural language” which allows users to search in Salesforce the same way they would when using something like Google search.
Actionable Instant Results and Recommended Results
When a user clicks into the search bar, users will see the actionable user interface. This will include:
- Suggested natural language searches that will create custom filtered lists – these are based on recent searches and will continue to update as the user keeps typing.
- Potential search results based on what the user has types in the search bar – when a user hovers over each record they will be able to see more information about that record, related lists and action buttons such as ‘Edit’ or ‘Clone’.
- Suggested list views
Einstein Search for Knowledge Articles
From the Winter ’22 release, Einstein Search is available in Pilot for Knowledge Articles. This feature is available for orgs with Lightning Knowledge enabled, using Enterprise, Essentials, Performance, Developer, and Unlimited in Lightning Experience.
Einstein Search for Knowledge Articles is based on each user’s work and the popularity of a particular article.
Einstein Search continues to demonstrate that Salesforce is a platform accelerating user productivity, enabling businesses to focus on pursuing customer success.
In Salesforce’s own words “Using Einstein Search can result in an up to 50% reduction in clicks and page loads for the most frequently-used tasks, such as editing sales records.” With stats like this, perhaps it’s time you took a look.
- Einstein Search: Work Faster and Smarter
- Introducing New Einstein Search – Increasing Productivity With AI for Every Customer
- Einstein Search: Work Faster and Smarter
- Einstein Search Limitations
- Take Control of Which Objects Users See in Search (Beta)
- Assist Your Agents and Customers to Find Knowledge Articles (Pilot)