The Lightning app builder is a point-and-click tool that’s easy to create a custom home page, record page and an app page for the Salesforce Lightning Experience and mobile app.
A Lightning component is a smaller and reusable application which can be used in Lightning pages in the Lightning App Builder. There are three types of Lightning components available to make up your Lightning app:
- Standard Components: Standard components built by Salesforce.
- Custom Components: Custom components that you or your developer have created.
- Third-Party Components on the Salesforce AppExchange: Third-party components built by our partner. AppExchange provides a marketplace for Lightning components. You can find packages containing components ready to use in the Lightning App Builder.
Let’ see some of the key benefits of building Lightning apps:
- Build perfect apps for Desktop, Tablet and Mobile
- Fast, easy to use and modern user interface
- Clicks not code
- You can create a Home page, Record page, or App page
- You can put standard and custom components
- Create multiple custom pages and assign the customized pages to different user profiles
Tutorial: Build a custom default Home page in Salesforce Lightning Experience
1. Click on the Setup gear icon at the top right of the main Home page
2. Go to Setup:
3. Type App builder in the Quick Find search box:
4. Select the Lightning App Builder.
5. Click the New button:
6. You can see in below screenshot, create a New Lightning Page dialog box, choose the Home page Lightning Experience page type:
7. Now enter the Label (your page name), and click on Next.
8. In the dialogue box, Choose Page Template, which shows the selection of Standard Home Page as default. You can change it later, in case if you change your mind! Click on Finish.
9. Once you click the Finish button, you can see the home page layout screen. Now drag and drop to put components from the left-hand components pane, which contains all the standard and custom components available for the Home page.
Here, we will drag and drop Quarterly Performance, Today’s Events, Today’s Task, Recent Items, Recent Records, Assistant and App Launcher.
13. Finally, click on Save (top right-hand side)
14. Upon saving the page, the below screenshot appears. Click Activate:
15. Once you click on activate, you can see the below screenshot, you have to choose an option. Here, we are creating this app for Home page default, so choose the Assign as Org Default option.
16. Click Save
How it works…
See below screenshot, how it will look on your org default home page:
That’s it. You are done. Very quick and very easy. Your brand-new Lightning app home page is ready and activated. You can easily build out-of-the-box Lightning app according to your users’ requirements with standard and custom components.
Finally, be sure to check out my blog for great resources on Lightning and other trending topics.