B2B Marketing Analytics (B2BMA) datasets are a collection of source data that the B2B Marketing Analytics app formats and optimizes for your interactive exploration.
B2BMA comes out of the box with datasets and dashboards, providing you with a solid foundation. However, we may want to tell a bigger story, to expand on this information and bring in more data from Salesforce, Pardot (Account Engagement), or even a third-party app. Or, you may have received requests from your colleagues who want to see specific information.
B2BMA allows you to create more datasets using the data manager. Let’s see how it’s done.
B2BMA Data Sources: Bring Data Into B2B Marketing Analytics
There are three ways you can bring data into B2BMA.
- Create and upload a CSV file.
- Create a dataset from Salesforce. Data is “packaged up” into datasets and sent into CRM Analytics through dataflows.
- Connect to data in supported applications, data warehouses, and database services (this option may require additional permissions).
Tip: Before you create a Salesforce Dataset ensure your data is clean and complete. Bring in only the data you need. Remember to use a clear naming convention so you’ll be able to identify the datasets.
Create Datasets in B2B Marketing Analytics
For this example, we’ll create a new Salesforce dataset for campaigns.
1. Navigate to Datasets. Browse → All Items → Datasets.
2. Click Create → Dataset.
3. Click Salesforce Data for the default Salesforce dataflow.
4. Select Custom Object → Name your dataset → Add to default dataflow.
5. Name your dataset, and choose whether or not you’d like to add it to an existing dataflow or add to a new dataflow.
6. Select the Salesforce object you’d like to pull data from.
7. Select the + sign next to the Campaign object to add your fields. Select each field you’ll need for your dataset. Once you’re done selecting your fields, click next.
8. Select the app for your dataset. Click create dataset if you’re ready to create. If you want to edit more fields, click edit dataflow.
Your dataset is now in the queue to be created. To check the progress, go to the data monitor.
Join Datasets in B2B Marketing Analytics (Recipes)
You can group and combine data, or import data into your instance and combine it with the out-of-the-box data. Also, you can combine the out-of-the-box and custom datasets to choose only the fields you need.
For this example, we’ll use the newly created dataset for Salesforce campaigns and join it with the email template dataset. If you are looking for the click-through rate on a specific campaign, this would be a great use case to merge these datasets.
Email Template Dataset + Salesforce Campaign Dataset = Campaign CTR report.
1. Navigate to Setup → Data Manager → Dataflows & Recipes. Click Create Recipes.
2. Chose the base dataset. For this example, I’ll select “Pardot Email Templates”.
3. Name your new recipe → Click Next.
4. Click the ad data icon. Chose the dataset you’d like to combine with the base dataset. Make sure there is a field in common to match the data. For this example, I’ll select “Salesforce Campaigns”.
5. The Recipe builder will automatically suggest the field to match the datasets. Verify the field makes sense. An email address is a great example to use as a match.
6. Select the fields you need from your dataset → Then click “Done”.
7. Verify you have the form fields you need → Then click “Create Dataset”.
8. Chose the App location you want to save the dataset to.
9. Do you want it to run periodically (i.e. it will update the data when you tell it to).
When you go back to your datasets, you’ll see your new dataset available.
Thanks to B2BMA and its point-and-click interface, you’ve learned how to create and join datasets to create new visuals. Without clean and consistent data that feeds our visualizations, we wouldn’t be able to tell our story. So be sure that the data you are bringing in, is reliable, clean, and consistent.
B2BMA is included in specific packages if you don’t have it reach out to your account executive. For help in getting started, reach out to us here, for a complimentary consult, we’d love to help!