Salesforce DevOps Center is the much anticipated alternative to change sets. It will allow users to manage environments, track changes, integrate source control systems, and manage deployments through a click-based interface. Beta version is now available (June 2022), while the targeted GA release is scheduled for the fall (autumn).
DevOps Center is intended to provide a full end-to-end experience – an experience that allows teams of low-code developers, admins, and programmatic developers to work together to build and deliver Salesforce applications. For many admins and low-code developers, the hype surrounding the launch of Salesforce DevOps Center will prompt exploration around how to begin their DevOps journey.
Here are some DevOps best practices you can get started with today:
- Step up to version control: This is the first step in your DevOps journey away from change sets. Version control creates an audit trail, provides the ability to detect and resolve merge conflicts, and allows for rollbacks.
- Improve collaboration: The next step in your DevOps journey will be to expand visibility and collaboration among your team members. This may mean granting or restricting access to orgs and repositories in your pipeline by role.
- Automate, automate, automate: Finally, combining CI/CD and automated testing is the best way to accelerate delivery on the low-code Salesforce platform.
The Future Is Fast
The future of fast and easy Salesforce DevOps is already here. Copado Essentials is ten times faster than change sets and you don’t have to wait for DevOps Center to begin optimizing your deployments:
- Copado Essentials centralizes all metadata across teams, allowing for version control, roll back, and merge conflict detection so you can see changes in real time, all at a glance. It eliminates multiple deployment iterations and provides full visibility of the metadata differences between environments. It enables the change review process to be conducted easily before each deployment. You can see code commits in real time across teams, allowing for line-by-line code review and optimal workflow.
- Git is notoriously complicated and usually requires additional training. Copado Essentials takes the pain out of Git by managing the interactions behind the scenes. Your team members can move changes more easily without having to remember to commit to the repository. Copado Essentials is compatible with all Git providers in the cloud or behind a firewall.
- Copado Essentials is one of the best tools for managing the automation process because it allows for lightning-fast metadata selection and deployment of metadata types beyond those supported by change sets. There is no need to create new change sets for every step of your pipeline.
Integrated Automated Testing
Automated testing is now integrated into Copado Essentials. Designed for smaller teams, Copado Robotic Testing Essentials provides easy and affordable AI-powered testing that is purposely built for Salesforce.
Testing Salesforce changes manually can be a major bottleneck and it’s also prone to errors. Traditional testing tools, like Selenium, are too complex to manage and weren’t designed for Salesforce. Scripts need to be able to reliably select picklist values, properly navigate pop out modals when creating records, and much more. Adding automated testing to your DevOps practice is the best way to accelerate quality releases on the Salesforce platform.
Sign in with Salesforce to get started (for free) today. We use Salesforce Single Sign-on – there’s no install needed, no additional logins to manage, and no credit card required. Enjoy!