During DreamTX 2020, Salesforce relaunched the Champions program, moving away from purely product advocacy towards evangelism and peer engagement among business leaders in sales, service, marketing, commerce, and IT.
There are now 5 different paths: Sales Champion, Service Champion, Marketing Champion, Commerce Champion, Platform Champion. These paths have different product focuses, however all have similar requirements and responsibilities.
As part of the relaunch, Lightning Champions has been rebranded to Platform Champions. In this post we’ll dive into how you can become a Platform Champion and the benefits of doing so. Applications are open now!
What Makes a Platform Champion?
Do you go above and beyond? Are you willing and comfortable to speak about your experience and expertise with a variety of audiences? Then this program sounds like a good fit for you!
Salesforce is looking for three essential qualities: Leadership, Advocacy, and Generosity. For the Platform Champion program specifically, Salesforce is looking for “IT leaders and technology owners who have helped pave the path to digital transformation at their organizations, and are ready to show others the way”.
You could be a good fit if:
- You manage a team of Salesforce Admins or Developers
- You play a significant part in defining the strategic vision for app development for your company
- You are a decision maker for business technology purchasing and/or implementation
If you are currently (or were previously) a Lightning Champion, you may notice these requirements are different when compared to the program launch in 2018. It’s true, the requirements have changed however, any existing Champion can retain their membership even if they do not meet these new criteria.
What Responsibilities Do Platform Champions Have?
The main responsibility of any Champion is to advocate for Salesforce and share their experiences.
This could include:
- Speaking at user groups, community events or Salesforce events
- Sharing knowledge and updates via social media
- Helping other Trailblazers via the Answers Community
- And more…!
Platform Champions must commit to a minimum of one “Act of Advocacy” every quarter for a year, as well as nominating at least one potential future Champion.
What are the Perks of Becoming a Platform Champion?
It’s not all about the benefits(!)…but they are a nice perk. As well as the pleasure of giving back and being recognised as an expert, you’ll also get to participate in some amazing career and leadership development programs, early access to product innovation, invitations to Champion only events and some swag.
Being part of the Champions program is great for boosting your profile in the Salesforce ecosystem, you’ll also enjoy the Champions quarterly newsletter and meeting a community of like minded peers.
How do I know this? As an existing Platform Champion my personal highlights have included:
- Access to development programs during 2020 with topics including public speaking and presenting on technical topics
- A “work from anywhere” gift to support us as we adjusted to working at home
- A Champions breakfast at Dreamforce complete with Appy pancakes and coffee art!
Prospective Champions can apply to Salesforce to join the program twice a year. Nominations are currently open until January 31, 2021!
1. Submit your application now through January 31, 2021.
2. Application review will take approximately 3-4 weeks depending on application volume.
3. You will be notified of your application status in late February 2021 via an email from [email protected]
The application process won’t take long but it’s worth really making the effort to detail your background and accomplishments to make sure you stand out!
You can expect your application to contain the following:
- Personal information such as your email and address
- MVP status
- Your job role and company information
- Links to your social media and Trailhead profile
- Speaking engagements
- Details of products and features you have experience implementing
- Your story and a short bio
- Trailblazer.me Profile: this profile on the Trailhead platform is described as your Salesforce resume, so it makes sense to be the first place you should look at. Have you completed the main badges for your specialisations? Another ‘spring cleaning’ task you should do is merge your accounts; merging ensures that all of your badges/points are credited to a single login.
- Freshen up your LinkedIn: Check out these tips from John Knight on how to really stand out.
Summary – Apply Now!
If you’re interested, then apply now! Applications have just opened, and will close on January 31, 2021. The application process will take approximately 3-4 weeks and the Salesforce team will contact successful applicants in February 2021!