“Do you test what messaging drives the most engagement in emails or landing pages?” Which parts are a success? What’s a miss? How can you make it better?
Optimising your marketing is one of the most exciting parts of the process. Intentional, well-planned testing is key. Pardot has two options for testing marketing assets: A/B Testing and Multivariate testing. What are the differences? Which should you use when?
Thanks to Casey Cheshire for this content from his recently published book: “Marketing Automation Unleashed” – where he shares his Pardot and marketing automation expertise told in his energetic style.
Why Should You Test?
It’s estimated that you find the real ‘winner’ in 1 out of every 7 tests.
The Challenges of Testing
Marketers find barriers to running intentional, well-planned testing because they are:
- Too busy: “monthly campaign, rinse, repeat…” attitude that leaves no space for experimentation.
- Skipping ahead: No lead source tracking in place.
- Confused: with no direction in their testing, they can’t explain the results.
Strategic Hierarchy for Optimisation
The hierarchy ensures that you first test the factors that promise the biggest results.
- Value proposition: “What’s in it for me?’, where the ‘me’ is your buyer.
- Layout: are you highlighting the right points? Or is it busy, with competing words?
- Credibility: does your marketing asset build the buyer’s confidence, eg. thought leadership, expert quotes.
- Social proof: answers when the buyer asks: ‘what did my peers choose? Were they happy with that decision?’
How to Test: 5 Steps to Follow
- Determine your goal: increase email open rates? Improve conversion rates on your landing pages?
- Create a hypothesis: Select a factor from the hierarchy above. If you make that change, what do you guess will happen?
- Create alternatives: copy and change something about your current assets – these will be your test subjects. Don’t feel you need multiple!
- Confirm your measurement: make sure your tools are set up properly for the metric you chose in step 1.
- Execute your test: Test alternatives with live traffic! Be sure to choose the right method: A/B or multivariate.
|A/B Testing||Multivariate Testing|
|Compare one change||Compare multiple changes|
|Quick Setup||Longer Setup|
|Requires smaller sample size||Requires larger sample size|
|For testing emails in Pardot||For testing landing pages in Pardot|