As the name suggests, Salesforce Shield adds a new layer of data security on the existing Salesforce apps. This proves to be of great use to the businesses with compliance or governance requirements. Launched on July 14th has created quite a buzz already.
“With Salesforce Shield, we are liberating these IT leaders and developers, and empowering them to quickly build the cloud apps their businesses need, with the trust Salesforce is known for.” said Tod Nielsen, executive vice president of Salesforce1 Platform, Salesforce.
“Salesforce1 Platform allows us to incorporate compliance capabilities into our apps to better serve the needs of our global client base.” gushed Steve Petrevski, senior vice president of Technology, First Data.
Salesforce Shield comprises of 4 main features:
1. Platform Encryption: It enables users to natively encrypt sensitive data across Salesforce apps. It also gives its customers the ability to maintain full control over encryption keys and can set encrypted data permissions to protect sensitive data from unauthorized users. This is a boon for the businesses working around customers’ PI such as Banking and Healthcare sectors.
2. Event Monitoring: It tracks each interaction and is accessible via APIs and the results can be viewed in data visualization tool like Wave Analytics, Splunk etc.
3. Field Audit Trail: Field Audit Trail provides the state and value of data for any date, at any time. Field Audit Trail helps to create forensic data-level audit trail with up to 10 years of history, and set triggers for when data is deleted.
4. Data Archive: Customers can store long-lived business data in the Salesforce1 Platform, while still benefiting from maximum app performance and data availability. For example, hospitals are required to store patient data for decades, but they can transfer that patient data into near line storage and access it via simple queries when necessary.
Pricing and Availability
– Salesforce Shield will be priced at a percentage of a customer’s total Salesforce product spend. Customers can purchase components of Salesforce Shield together or individually.
– Field Audit Trail, Event Monitoring, and Platform Encryption are available; Data Archive is expected to be generally available from 2017.
Salesforce Shield feature forges the trust further with the Salesforce customers particularly the ones relying on the PI for their businesses. Also being a native solution, it can be quickly set up and is much faster than other data security solutions. Once again Salesforce delivered to its customers the promise of trust and security with Shield.